75 years ago, Mr. Francesco Vitaloni opened a food store in Milan - Via Lecco No. 18 – and decided to call it "La Rosticceria San Carlo" because of the proximity of the small church of “San Carlo al Lazzaretto”. The store soon stood out for a revolutionary food specialty: “crunchy potato chips”, which were distributed daily in bakeries and snack bars in the surroundings. A limited production (20 kilos per day) that turned quickly into considerable quantities.
In 1940, Mr Vitaloni moved to “Greco”, another town district, to start up the industrial production with the company changing its name into "San Carlo... le patatine". In 1955 Mr. Alberto Vitaloni, the actual owner and President, took over from his father and in 1970 founded the Milan-based multinational with the headquarter in Via Turati that got the name of "San Carlo Gruppo Alimentare S.p.A.".
In the following years the company experienced a consistent growth. At present, the production is around 100 tons of chips a day (plus a wide range of savoury snacks, sweets and bakery) with 11 factories, 2200 employees, 170 warehouses, 1300 salesmen and vans that guarantee a tough distribution all over the country.
Year 2011 is a special one for San Carlo, that celebrates its 75th anniversary as undisputed market leader, with its constant focus on consumer needs, development and products innovation, and reaches the third generation with Mrs. Susanna Vitaloni.